Thursday, June 11, 2015


  • Spain is Like, You Know...Really Cool and Stuff


(This hilarious video explains the title, and is like 60% accurate  about Valencian life LOL)

For starters, my sincerest apologies go out to those who read my first blog entry last week expecting to read…well, a blog. And instead found more of an essay format. I’m fairly sure the last time I had any sort of blog, it was during the MySpace era, like Vote for Pedro shirts were still uber popular. Anyways, this blog is part from the heart web logging and part assignment for the National Science Foundation’s International Research Experience for Students. Pretty cool, right? There are certain bullet points I’ve got to hit so if your just here to see what cool stuff Boehme is up to over the summer, bear with me. If you’re evaluating my participation in the IRES program, I hope you find in these entries exactly what you’re looking for. And if you are like me from a few months ago and trolling through every former participant’s blog because you are either applying to or have just been accepted to the program, relax. Spain is pretty great!

                 
    (Delicious paella cooking at a street festival)        (Tapas festival a block from our apartment)


Right now it is about 16:30, and I just woke up from about an hour-long siesta. This morning I had an apple before walking to work at 8:30 (don’t worry folks I’m not starving myself over here, just wait!) and then at about 10:30 my lab partners and I, along with most people at UPV, along with most people in Spain come to think of it… Went and took coffee. A tiny little espresso shot and a split bocadillo de jamon between my roommate and me. Went back to the lab at 10:50 and kept on working till 13:30 or so, came home and had a large lunch, and finally…siesta. People in Spain know how to live. One of the first things I noticed at UPV is that this schedule of taking coffee (and perhaps a cigarette or even a beer) at 10:30 and lunch at 13:30-14:00 is like clockwork. Whereas in the US our mealtimes are much more sporadic, usually fit into our 9-5 schedule, the Spanish put just as much emphasis on meals as they do on work, with astounding results!


(I spy a little bit of America here...do you see it?)


Before going on this trip, there was a day long workshop to give a heads up on what to expect, what was expected of us, and other little housekeeping issues. “Culture shock” was emphasized during this workshop as a common ailment of students going abroad for more than a month. The abstract definition and supplemental diagrams illustrating the disorienting and depressive symptoms of culture shock scared me a little. With the exception of a brief excursion or two across the Mexican border, this South Texas boy was expecting to take this trip like a deer in the headlights. But as of day 12 I am completely culture shock free! If anything I have “culture embrace”, instead of a deer in the headlights I am a koala on a Spanish tree. It took about a week or so, but now my roommates and I have all adapted to the Spanish eating/sleeping schedule (did I mention siestas? i.e. the greatest part of Spanish life!).

          (people are always chilling in Valencia, even on a bed of nails! He even let me try it)

So in Spain they speak Spanish, si? No, as most of y’all probably know from having been corrected by “those friends”, in Spain they speak castellano (or Castillian). What I did not know before coming is that each province has its own dialect. Here in Valencia, all of the street signs and official markers are in Valenciano, very much like Spanish (sorry, castellano) but with germanic influence. Being in a country that you do not speak the language of has plenty of challenges, but luckily my high school Spanish classes help with the basics. Besides, for the really tough situations, I’ve got two roommates who are fluent! When it comes to language, having heard from others and now experienced myself, western Europe is lightyears ahead of the US when it comes to language diversity and globalization. I very large percentage of Spaniards I’ve met thus far speak some English or are fluent. And by “speak some English” I don’t mean it in the way people claim to “speak some Spanish” back in Texas. Just knowing how to count to ten and say “hello, what is your name” does not qualify as knowing a little English around these parts. People here who are embarrassed by their lack of English, and speak “very little” are still at a conversational level (if a choppy conversation). So as far as getting around with a language barrier, Valencia is not too bad. The biggest challenge is extending my social network, but it’s getting easier day by day!


(a youth soccer game in front of a Roman bridge)


We’ve only been in Valencia since arriving though this weekend Carlos and I are going to experience the birthplace of tapas and flamenco in Granada, so I’ll definitely have some more pictures and stories for my next post. But it’s taken about 12 days to really see a lot of and get a feel for this city. There are bridges and castles and buildings that more than double the age of the US here. I love winding through the labyrinth of the historic district, with its streets and alleys packed with shops and restaurants (mostly for tourists). Most of the streets in this area barely allow a single car to pass through. The cathedral is of course breathtaking, built in the 1300’s and as a Catholic I feel obligated to attend mass one of there one of these Sundays.


(I have no excuse to not go to church now)


Bottom line: Spain is very different from America. Every little thing from the tiny cars, to the weird power outlets, to the design of their toilet seats (not going to gross y’all out with specifics, but way more efficient). Stores close at two and open up again at five, there are just as many people over 40 out and about after midnight as there are under. It’s relaxed, nobody is ever on time but that’s expected. There is booze EVERYWHERE but it’s a part of the culture, people are not going crazy with it. Well, not too crazy. I’m proud to be an American, and value our industriousness. But for now I’m a part of the International Research Experience for Students program, and I intend to experience this culture in addition to more scholarly endeavors. There’s a different pace to life here in Valencia, and I am happy to match it.

No comments:

Post a Comment